sarahfnp-bc
sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.
8719088

what does blood, protein and ketones in your urine mean

Customer Question

Hi there,

I have recently being experiencing pains in my side which have moved and my bladder feels very tender. I spoke to my gp severa times and it has now been highlighted that I have protein, blood and ketones in my urine. What does this mean? My doctor has given me antib's and referred me or a scan but what could it be?

Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 8 years ago.
Hi Worried,

Thanks for the question.

Your doctor is trying to treat any sort of genealized infection that may be growing. It would be beneficial to know if he sent it for a culture.

Blood in the urine can be caused by infection, kidney stones, cystitis, or certain medications. It can also be caused by trauma to the urinary system or kidneys.
Sometimes BPH can cause blood in urine. So can kidney disease and ocassionally diabetes.

Ketones in the urine can be caused by dieting, starvation, insulin overdose, severe stress, nausea and vomiting. Do you know if there was glucose also present?

The protein in the urine depends on how high it was.

If you are not dieting, drink large amounts of alcohol, or have any other medical conditions then starting with antibiotics is prudent. But you should probably have blood work drawn and possibly a CT scan.

It's too early to panic as these may not be related and all may have easy treatments.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sarah

Here is some more information.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/urine-test