Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

It hurts when I cough, sneeze or simple as laughing. My doc

It hurts when I cough, sneeze or simple as laughing. My doc is not in today. My right lower part of lung hurts.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Is the pain in the back of the buttock, back of the thigh, back of the knee, into the calf and bottom of the foot?

Or is the pain something else?

When did this start?

Any numbness or weakness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The pain is on my right mid back, like under the ribcage. It hurts when I cough badly, but it aches without movement.

It started about 3 days ago. There is no numbness. I do have to take a couple of deep breahs.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

So pain in the back, but more off to the right side?

Or is it in the right flank?

Is this about belly button level?

Does it worsen if you twist, or bend to the right and left?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i cannot find accept button. I'm accepting

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

You can press the accept button AFTER I answer your question. But I am still trying to get more information here:

Or is it in the right flank?

Is this about belly button level?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The pain is more to the right. Maybe a little bit above belly button but in the back.

No it does not hurt when I twist or bend. I also have a little pain in the neck on right side, but I think it's because I'm slouching a little.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

OK.

From the area you are describing, it sounds as if it actually below where your lungs would be, and that this is likely muscular pain from a probable muscle strain in the area.

Such strains can cause pain with forceful coughing, for example, because your muscles contract when you cough.

Because it doesn't seem to travel anywhere, it does not seem nerve related.

These types of pains would usually be present for a few days and improve over a couple of weeks.

Another possibility though, since it is related to your coughing, is that there is irritation of the lung, or the pleura which is causing your pain. Such pains then would be worse with breathing, and can be related to infections of the lung, blood clots in the lung, etc. So if you are having any difficulties with breathing, or it worsens, then you should be in contact with your doctor.

Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery