Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

i am having dizziness in early morning when attempting to get

i am having dizziness in early morning when attempting to get out of bed. I rest and cautiously get out of bed and am all right from then on. My doctor tells me that my blood pressure is low for me, and I am trying to figure out why. Any clues?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.

Your symptoms suggest Orthostatic hypotension. By far the most common cause of this is dehydration of lack of adequate fluids in the body. This can be further due to diarrhea, vomiting or decreased fluid intake. So I would suggest drinking lots of fluids with electrolytes like Gatorade, orange juice etc. Other possible causes are heart problems (slow heart beat), medications, autonomic nervous system disorder. So you should also get an EKG test done to evaluate for hear problems. You are taking BP medication, so this may have to further eased of by lowering the dose. Aspirin would not cause these symptoms.

Read more here-
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthostatic-hypotension/DS00997

Regards.
Dr Singh
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

during my most recent physical (6 month follow up) I had the thigh muscle problem, and had an EKG, blood work complete physical in June 30 2008. Both at my June physical and the Dec 30th follow up, my vitals were fine and circulation fine etc and blood tests were all normal. I have lessened up on the Diovan since the dizziness.

The thigh muscle pain has lessened thru the aspirin dosages I guess...but my internist noted that my bp in Dec was 124/70. This is very low for me and he was happy about it, but we could not figure out the drop. Several days after the exam, was when I started to get the dizzy spells. I do not drink nor take party drugs...the bp I believe is involved in the dizziness. Today, an hour or so after I was up., I took ,my bp was l40/90. I still have not resumed my bp medicaation, but am increasing the potassium (20meq) to a tablet in the a.m. and tonight will take another at bedtime for the first time. If aspirin is not the culprit, could food (holidays feasts) be involved? I think I may be fixated on the dizziness, instead of just working on it slowly. After all, I am okay once I start walking around.

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
I don't think foods would be causing this. But I agree this is minor and temporary problem and not something to be worried about. The thing with orthostatic hypotension is that there is sudden drop in BP while standing up after prolonged siting or lying down. BP can be normal at other times. This can be present in many individuals who have otherwise no health problems. And as I mentioned earlier, commonest cause is decreased fluid in the body. You may also need adjustment with the timing of BP medication, to prevent these episodes in the morning.

Dr Singh