TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
13956133

female Age 58....should I get shingles vaccination if I have

female Age 58....should I get shingles vaccination if I have genital herpes?

Hi there and thanks for the question today on JustAnswer.com

There should be no reason that you cannot have a shingles vaccine if you have genital herpes. Only one dose in needed.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/vac-faqs-hcp.htm

Hope this helps!

I see you posted additional information after I posted my answer. This is a computer glich we are experiencing.

Are you on any immunosuppressive therapy?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Nurse Milli,

I am a nurse also (35 years) and am concerned that both shingles and herpes are caused by viruses in the same family....is the shingles vaccine a weakened dose of the virus? Would my being on Valtrex render the vaccine ineffective? Both shingles and herpes are treated with valtrex....no offense do we need a physician here?

No immunosupressives, no steroids....

Hello monnchild-

A couple things I would add to the answer above-

First- Recommendations in your case for or against shingles vaccine would have nothing to do with your genital herpes or ITP. Neither of these make you any more or less prone to shingles ( if you are not on immunosupressives currently for ITP). I would follow current shingles vaccine recommendations, which is to be given at age 60 or above.

As far as being on antivirals-- Absolutely Valtrex would have activity and decrease effectiveness of the vaccine. The vaccine is a live attenuated strain of the varicella virus. Antivirals should be stopped more than 24 hours, and preferably a couple days at least, before vaccination. I would also stay off the antivirals for a few weeks after vaccination if possible, to allow for optimal vaccine strain replication and immune response.

I hope that helps.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get my credit.
POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.