Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD (Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
11532963

what are small white bumps on my feet and lower legs

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for approaching justAnswer with your concern. Please provide the following info so that I can assist you better.

1. How long have you had them?
  2. Did they appear all of a sudden or one by one overa few weeks or months?
  3. Please describe the bumps: White, skin colored,brownish, are they solid or contain any material inside, the surafce is it smooth with a central dimple, or is it rough?
  4. Are they itchy or painful?
  5. Are you diabetic or on any medication?
  6. You have done cryo on these. What did the doctor say it was?
  7. If possible, post a picture here.

Here is how to insert the pic here:

1. First Step is to save the pic to your computer and then reduce the size of the pic to 'web large' size in microsoft picture manager(640 x 480)
    2. Then save it onto the desktop.
    3. Click the green tree > Click Browse> Click Browse again> choose the pic>Click OK > Click Insert.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that I can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They began appearing several years ago and increased in number since. They are white/grey with no dimple or fluid inside. They do not itch. I am not diabetic and only on cholesterol Rx. The dermatologist froze several and they returned.
Thanks for the input.

These are Plain Warts(Verruca plana), caused by a type of human papilloma virus.. Frequently these are very resistant to treatment and return, especially after cryofreezing as some virus may escape unfrozen, or some, already seeded, may come out later. In some persons, they go away by themselves after a few years.

You can try electrocautery, which is more effective in such cases. Get rid of them immediately as they appear, or you may get recurrences as new lesions will have started developing beneath if you keep them for long. Never scrub your skin, as this will help in spreading the virus.

At home you can also try wart removal solutions like salicylic acid solutions(e.g.Duofilm), these should be applied very carefully to the lesions only, protecting the surrounding area with vaseline. Apply for 3-4 days, then scrape off the dried surface with blade( be careful not to cut the skin!). Repeated 3-4 times this should get rid off most lesions. Treat bumps as they appear.

If you need further clarification, please ask. __________________________________

My answer is for your personal information only. It should not be used as a substitute to visiting your doctor. No treatment should be tried without first consulting a doctor.