Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

how long does it take sorbitol to work for constipation

Sorbitol is an osmotic agent.

Osmotic agents work by pulling large amounts of water into the the large intestine making the stools soft and loose.

These laxatives work within 3 hours and are useful for treating constipation rather than for preventing it.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it's been 4 hours since I took it, and I'm having no results... what should I do?

WHen was your last bowel movement?

Have you eaten much?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my last bowel movement was at like 4 PM today, it was hard and I strained and I've been eating constantly.

Sometimes depending on how much you are backed up it could take until tomorrow. You could always try an enema if there is no medical reason that you shouldn't. You can buy them at the drug store .