Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have been vomiting every morning after I brush my teeth.

I have been vomiting every morning after I brush my teeth. I have been doing this for a very long time. I don't want to vomit, but I cannot control it. I have tried to wait several hours after I get up and that helps some. Now it feels like I have something in my throat. I have been sick alot lately with sinus so I figured it had something to do with that, but I'm scared that maybe I have hurt myself. One of my doctors said I need to have a blood test done and the level of acid in my stomach. Does that sound like something I need to do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to JA and thanks for the question.

Your it because you are activating your gag reflex with the brushing too far back on your tongue, or do you wake up nauseated?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I never feel nauseated and I never brush too far because I know how sensative my gag reflex is. This morning I brushed my teeth in the shower and I did better but I still vomited some. Most of the time I'm just vomiting stomach bile. Also, please let me know what you think about what my doctor said about the test to determine acid level, if I don't need it, I don't want to have it done. Thanks!!

Hi there

Well, if you are vomiting for no reason (not brusing to far back and gagging yourself and you are not nauseated), then yes, you should have the testing done to see what is going on as vomiting for no reason is not normal. I

f you vomit daily, you have likely caused some esphageal irritation/damage from the acid/stomach contents coming up this frequently. I would have the test run the he/she is recommending.