Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Just behind my left knee is pretty swollen for sometime and

Just behind my left knee is pretty swollen for sometime and there is a large varicose vein below the swollen area since my last pregnencywhich was 10 years ago.

How big is the swelling? Has it any color? How does it feels; soft, form, fluid filled or hard? Does this changes size? Do you have any restriction of the knee movements? Are the knee movements painful? If you tap the swelling with your finger or hand, does the varicose vein below fills up or increase in size?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The swelling hurts at times so I usually sleep with my legs elevated and that relieves the pain and makes the swelling go down a little.....the swelling is just skin colored and sticks out about half an inch....the area is swollen and bulges out entirely behind my left knee. sometimes if it hurts too much I take 2-3 200mgs of ibuprofin for the pain then elevate as usual at night at bedtime.

The varicose vein is below this site and I'v noticed that the varicose vein is now branching downwards behind my calf with a series of branched out veins.....I stand a lot and wonder if this may be one of the reasons.....I wonder if I must have poor circulation or a blocked vein or something why the swelling is there. I've since been taking 81 mgs of aspirin to thin the blood platelets.

The short saphenous vein drains at the back of the knee and there is a valve there. If this valve is incompetent this can give swelling and your symptoms like pain. The swelling size disappears on the lying down and elevation, which again is suggestive of the varicose vein, also termed as incompetent veins. The treatment is surgical removal, laser ablation, or injection by a sclerosant, etc.

The other small possibility for the swelling is Baker cyst. Read about it in this resource;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you Doctor Phophalia,

I do appreciate your prompt answers.....I had previously injured this knee somewhere inside the front of the knee I thought... since I heard a "pop" at the time as I worked out in the gym .....but I soon forgot about it after it healed up ...I was using the leg extension and I think I had a bit too much weights on the aparatus...I had not made the connection until the site you just provided me with says this can be as result of an injury to the knee.

This swelling and varicose vein situation has gotten worse since I had both my children.... my last child was 10 years ago.

I will make a point to get a doctors appointment to get this checked out asap.

The injury can give rise to the Baker cyst. The cyst can cause pressure on the draining veins and resultant varicose vein, due to hampering of the venous drainage.

You are very welcome. Please click the accept if the interaction and has been helpful and satisfactory for you, as this is the only way, the experts get credit for the work and time.

Good luck.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have reffered your site to some of my friends....I will also contact this site again with other questions.....Thank you ever so much.

You are welcome.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun