Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

My boyfriend got hit in the neck with a hockey puck tonight

My boyfriend got hit in the neck with a hockey puck tonight playing ice hockey...there is a visible red spot, doesn't appear to be swollen...is this reason to be concerned and go to emergency room?
Is this the front or side or back of the neck?

Is he having any trouble swallowing, or breathing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
side of his neck, no trouble swallowing or breathing
OK.

It is very likely that this is just soft-tissue bruising, and that he may be a bit sore over the next few days.

The absolute emergency things that come from neck injuries are increasing swelling in the neck which makes swallowing or breathing difficult (as this could be bleeding in the neck, compressing the airway). That would be a reason to immediately go to the emergency room.

Of course, if that were to have happened, it probably would have been in the minutes after the initial injury, so it's unlikely to be the case here. A bit of ice today, along with tylenol or advil should be all that is needed.