Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I have been feeling unsteady when I walk for the last few months.

I have been feeling unsteady when I walk for the last few months. When walking, my body seems to veer towards the left.My doctor prescribed Stemetil and he also put me on high blood pressure medication. Moreover I also have anaemia (don't know how serious) and Vit-D deficiency and started iron and Vit-D supplements 2 weeks back. I feel scared to walk on the road. The light headedness does not happen much when I am indoors and in hot climate. Also, my left shoulder is very stressed and I can feel the tension. I am very worried because of that. Please advise if it could be something serious.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Do you have neck pain along with this "shoulder stress"?

Do you have trouble with fine motor movements with the hands, such as buttoning buttons on your shirts or holding cups?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have a tight and stressed left shoulder and neck. No neck pain.

I don't have any other motor movements at all.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Did your doctor do a neurologic exam to see if there was anything abnormal with your sensation or reflexes?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

He moved my neck around to check if I have any neck problems, but he found nothing wrong with the mobility.

These episode started when I was very stressed few months back.

I also feel very tired and breathlessness when exertion happens. My mouth feels very dry at night.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Well, it is tough to determine if the sensation of you falling toward the left is neurologic in nature if your doctor didn't do a full neurologic exam.

The sensation of feeling unsteady can come from inner ear problems, cerebellum (the part of the brain which handles balance) problems, and upper cervical spinal cord issues.

Given that this has been occurring for months now, it would be worth getting a neurologic exam and imaging of the brain to ensure that there isn't an issue which is causing your unsteadiness issues.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks. But is it possible because I am anaemic?

My body does not actually fall to the left, its just that I feel unsteady and I feel I drift to the left sometimes.

Could this be caused because of something very serious in the brain?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Could this be caused because of something serious in the brain?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Well, anemia can make you feel generally fatigued, but unsteadiness is a bit more specific than that.

While it certainly is unlikely that this would be an issue with the brain in a young healthy person, it could, and without a full exam and imaging if necessary, it is impossible to rule that out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you!

And what are the symptoms of inner ear disease? I have a tight sensation just behind my ear above the jaw on the left side. There is no ringing, numbness or deafness in my ears though.

I remember that I had a couple of incidents of severe dizziness upon waking when I was younger- once when I was about 14 and once when I was about 20. Does this indicate anything? And can stress/anxiety aggravate these symptoms?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
The tight sensation is probably due to muscle tension, since middle/inner ear issues that cause dizziness do not typically involve symptoms outside on the face.

And inner ear issues would typically cause the sensation of the room spinning, or "vertigo", and generally more often than what you describe. People can get these dizziness episodes with viral illnesses, which can explain why you've had symptoms in the past (as everyone has). Stress probably could make some of these symptoms worse, and anxiety attacks can have varied symptoms (which improve).