Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

I fell on ice 6 days ago and hit the back of my head and did

I fell on ice 6 days ago and hit the back of my head and did not seek medical attention. I still have a sore bump, should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I would like to try to help you but I have a few questions for you. When you fell and hit your head, did the blow knock you out (did you lose consciousnesses) were you nauseous or dizzy? If so, how long did that last? Did you have any changes in your vision or pupil size? Do you have terrible head pain since then?

Thanks alot for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not lose consciousness, I just never fell and hit my head so hard! I was snow tubing at night, and asked those who i was with about my pupil size, but they were unable to tell(dark brown eyes at night). The nausea and headache werte gone the next day, but as I said, a bit of a bump and soreness remain 6 days later.
HelloCustomer

Its very possible, from what you are writing, that you sustained a minor concussion when you slipped on that ice. There are several degrees of concussion, from a grade 1 which is minor, requiring little to no treatment, to a grade 3 which needs urgent medical attention. Some of the effects of a concussion are seen immediately, others take some time to show up.

MOST concussions will go away on their own given time. However, some symptoms of more severe concussions dont show up immediately but take a few hours...or even days..to manifest.

Signs that may indicate something is not quite right and you would need further intervention would be a prolonged headache, nausea, vomiting (prolonged), impaired balance, memory loss, visual disturbances, ringing in the ears, loss of taste or smell.

You seem to have none of these, and it has been six days past the injury.

Online its not possible to say whether the soreness is due to the bump you had or is indicative of something more sinister. If you feel the level of pain is appropriate for a healing bump or bruise, then continue to monitor at home as you are. If however you feel the level of pain or other discomfort is not fitting with the situation, then I would recommend care...especially if the symptoms I noted above started to appear.

Here is more information regarding concussions: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/concussion/DS00320

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness