NeuroDoc1
NeuroDoc1, Doctor
Experience:  Neurology Residency completed 2006, Board Certified Neurologist
14010256

hot and cold feet

hot and cold feet
Category: Health
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 8 years ago.

How long has this sensation of hot and cold been going on? Do you notice any redness or paleness in the feet? Do you notice any numbness or tingling in the feet or legs?

Any other medical conditions? Do you have a history of liver problems? Do you smoke?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't really have any numbness or tingling, I do smoke, but I do have liver problems I think because of alchol. This problem has been happening for about 4 to 6 months. When they get too hot I soak them in cold water.
                          Thanks Allan
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 8 years ago.

Ok thanks for the information.

Given that you have a history of liver disease due to alcohol use, it is likely that you are having what is known as peripheral edema in the legs. This is caused by an excess of fluid from the bloodstream leaking out of the blood vessels into the other tissues. In alcoholic liver disease (also known as cirrhosis of the liver), this is usually due to the veins having increased resistance as they return blood from the legs back to the heart, as well as decreased proteins produced by the damaged liver which normally act to keep fluid in the blood vessels. The burning and coldness are often seen when the swelling has been present for a long time. You may also develop redness, sores and cramping in the legs.

Sometimes long-term drinkers also develop nerve damage in the feet and legs known as alcoholic peripheral neuropathy which can cause burning and coldness. This may be going on as well in you, but on its own would not explain the leg swelling.

These conditions can usually be treated with medications which help you rid the body of excess fluid and sometimes medications which increase the protein levels in your blood. Keeping your legs elevated and wearing compression stockings also may help.

You may wish to have a doctor confirm what is going on with you by examining you. Then you can discuss what treatment options are best for your condition.

I hope this has helped.