Doctor Harrison
Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health

I had a 3mm sessile polyps removed today from my colon, is

I had a 3mm sessile polyps removed today from my colon, is this dangerous?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Harrison replied 7 years ago.

Sessile refers to the appearance of the polyp, which is fully attached to the bowel wall at the base of the polyp. This does not tell us anything about the polyps cancerous predisposition, however, which is really the most important information.

Polyps are very common and usually cause no problems, but approximately 1 in 20 can eventually lead to cancer if not removed. That is why you had it removed today.

Your doctor will send the polyp to the lab to determine its cellular makeup. Depending on this, he will inform you if it was completely benign or a pre-cancerous lesion. These findings are what will determine your date of next colonoscopy (ranging from 1-5 years).

In general, a single 3 mm polyp like this is very likely to be of no concern, so you shouldn't lose sleep tonight. However, make sure you get the pathology report to confirm there is nothing unexpected.

Congratulations on a successful c-scope!

Please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful.