Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

my husband has a very sour foul smell about him. He can smell

my husband has a very sour foul smell about him. He can smell up a whole room when he's breathing in there. It's a very offensive sour fermenting sour milk smell about him. He has loose stools every morning - every morning ever since I've known him 15 years. I'm worried it's internal - liver, kidneys - stomach? He is a huge meat eater, lots of beef, steaks, etc., and drinks beer every day, more on weekends. The smell is terrible and he can't smell it. He got in our car and the kids in the back seat started asking what the horrible smell was. It's not sweat or body odor, it's coming from deep inside him. If his mouth is closed or he's not talking, it comes out his nose-you can still smell it. Someone at his work mentioned for him to see a dentist - I believe it's beyond his mouth - something inside - please help. I've been reading about celiac disease, but I'm thinking he's rotting from the alcohol. Please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 years ago.
In most cases, bad body odor is due to excessive sweating and the growth of bacteria. A number of steps can be taken to minimise this. You should consult a dermatologist for this so that appropriate steps can be taken and prescription drugs prescribed.

You should not worry about this. The first step of course is hygiene, with lots of soap baths. Also regular change of clothes and using only natural fiber clothes like cotton clothes. You should also use antiperspirants and deodorants. A natural remedy for such odors which I would recommend is white vinegar.

You can look up here for some solutions:
http://www.hyperhidrosisweb.com/underarm-odor.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sweating-and-body-odor/DS00305/DSECTION=7

Diet is also important for body odour. You can look up this site for some info on this:
http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C105680.html

Only in rare cases, some diseases can cause body odor, such as liver or kidney diseases, diabetic ketoacedosis, phenylketonurias, etc. But in most cases, it is due to sweat and bacteria, hence he should first try out the above suggestions, besides trying to regulate the diet by reducing meats and alcohol.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is not sweat or body odor - he has very good higiene and his body does not smell - it's from the inside. It's a reaction to something or something wrong on the inside. Can you provide a more specific answer? What would cause loose stools - every morning, every day, which he thinks is normal, and this terrible foul smell from inside him. It's not body odor or anything from the outside of him.
In that case, you should consult the doctor and ask for the following tests:

Diabetes
Kidney function tests
Liver function tests

These are the main conditions which can cause bad body odor.

The most likely cause of loose stools is due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

This is a condition where the bowels are in a hyperirritable state. It presents in different ways, including bowel movements after every meal, nausea, diarrhoea, constipation, bloating of the stomach, excessive flatulence, etc.

You can look up these sites for more info:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/irritable-bowel-syndrome/DS00106
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He doesn't complain ever of cramping or pain associated with IBS. He has always just "pooped" this way - he will go to the restroom first thing every morning and it sounds like diarreah. But he feels he's regular and this is normal everyday for him. I failed to mention he also takes high blood pressure medication daily, 100mg Toprol and Lotrel 5/40. He said the smell is a side affect of his medication - but he hasn't always had this smell. Dr Baughman it smells like one of his organs are fermenting or rotting. It's overwhelming. He thinks there is nothing wrong with him, this smell makes us all think otherwise and we are worried.
You should go for a check up.

Without a check up and tests, it is impossible to say whether he does have any disease or not.

He should get himself checked up and investigated to rule out any diseases like diabetes, kidney or liver diseases.