NeuroDoc1
NeuroDoc1, Doctor
Experience:  Neurology Residency completed 2006, Board Certified Neurologist
14010256

I have a loss of peripheral vision resulting from a stroke

I have a loss of peripheral vision resulting from a stroke 2 months ago. What options for regaining my vision do I have? I am 42, female and in good health.
Category: Health
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about your stroke and resulting vision loss. While a stroke is a terrible thing to experience, one "silver lining" is that the problems caused by strokes do tend to improve over time. This healing process involves recovery of injured brain tissue and a certain amount of "rewiring" in the brain which allows healthy parts of the brain to take over functions for areas damaged by the stroke. Most of this recovery takes place within the first 6 months after a stroke, but improvement can continue for 12 to 18 months in some cases. In stroke patients with visual field loss, usually there is some recovery and as long as you retain the majority of your visual field and the most sensitive area of central vision is intact, most people can continue to drive after strokes like this. If you are unsure if you are safe to drive, an optometrist or ophthalmologist can formally check your visual fields to make sure.

So...most likely your vision will improve gradually over the next 4-10 months. If you would like to take a more active role in this recovery, there are specialists who can work with you on "visual rehabilitation". This involves techniques which retrain the eyes and brain to function as well as possible.

The following link provides more information on visual rehabilitation and also how to find an expert near you who can provide this service:

http://www.disaboom.com/Health/VisualRehabilitation/Default.aspx

Best wishes to you.