Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Ive had direaha for 48 hours now. Had chills and run down.

I've had direaha for 48 hours now. Had chills and run down. Is this stomach flu?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

It sounds that you most likely have a viral gastroenteritis. (The term stomach flu is commonly used but technically the flu refers to the influenza virus family which is strictly a respiratory illness) I would recommend that you try either Kaopectate or Pepto-Bismol for your diarrhea. Drink plenty of fluids, Gatorade is great for this type of illness as it helps to replenish your electrolytes. Get rest. If you develop a bloody diarrhea, high fever or severe abdominal pain that you can't sleep through then something more serious may be going on and you should see your doctor. If you use the Pepto then seeing a chalky black discoloration within the stool is normal. I hope this info helps. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long does it take to run its course? Can soup or other bland food be taken? Much thanks.

Hello again!

Yes, you can eat!! The main diet restrictions would be if you were having vomiting. A bland diet including soup and carbohydrates is the easiest on the GI tract. I would recommend that you avoid heavy meals especially foods rich in proteins or fats. (Whoppers and pizza are not the best right now!!) Light foods and the bland diet will help the diarrhea to settle down. Good Luck, I hope you get to feeling better soon. If you have other questions then I'll be happy to get back to you with these.

Best Regards, XXXXX XXXXX MD

PS The time course on these is typically about 3 to 5 days but can vary depending on the underlying cause.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice