Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a lot of pain in my left knee in the front medial area

I have a lot of pain in my left knee in the front medial area of my kee and some swelling. I did not fall or have a specific injury that I know of to cause this. I cannot straighten out my
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Greetings.

This can be knee bursitis. Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Motrin, local analgesic patch or ointment and knee brace may help you. Avoid prolong standing or walking. If the pain or swelling does not decrease, you will need to consult your physician. He may aspirate the swelling and inject corticosteroid in the tissue space. Deep electrotherapy like iontophoresis and phonophoresis also helps with gradual physical therapy. Read about knee bursitis;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/knee-bursitis/DS00954

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can relate to the answer, and do thank you. I have had this knee condition for over three weeks now and it came on suddenly. Osteo Arthritis runs in may family, and I do have some swelling in my fingers in the upper first joint, but no pain. I did notice sme stiffness when walking down stairs a couple of months ago, but not pain at that time. This pain and immobiilty came on suddenly whe I went from a lying down to a standing position. If I am sitting down, then get up the pain is worse. After standin or strting to walk it may be somewhat better but shortly starts to hurt again and some burning in the lower part of my knee above the shin. I did walk on a treadmill sometimes in the gym,and my gym shoes were old, maybe not giving me enough support, and I am overweight. Will this condition go away, and will my knee go back to normal the way it was? Thank you, Connie Deveney

Hello Connie Daveney,

Associated osteoarthritis may be the predisposing factor for the bursitis. Overweight, then exertion with worn shoes may have been aggravating factor. Treatment for the osteoarthritis is as follows;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3)Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

6) Glucosamine and chondroitin orally for about 1-2 years.

7) Hyaluronic acid injections in knee.

8) Local sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.

9) Deep Electrotherapy by physical therapist.

http:bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html//www.

You're very welcome, I'm glad I could be of assistance. Please remember to click the green accept button if you're satisfied so I can get credit for my work with you.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Some swelling on the front of my knee in the medial and middle portion of the knee is evident. Sometimes the knee feels better, then it gets worse again. I am limping to favor the left knee where the pain and immobility is, but I don't want too much strain to be on my right knee, so I don't have a problem with that one later on. I am trying to elevate my left knee on the lazy boy recliner, with ice, and then heat a few times per day. Also, trying to do a few excercises to improve my range of motion as there is stffness and immobility around the left knee area where my problem is. I have a doctors appt on monday, 1/5/09. Is there something else I should be doing? Thank you, Connie XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Connie,

Knee brace, which you can get at pharmacy, would be helpful. Do only warm compresses with anti-inflammatory analgesics.

Best wishes.

Dr. Arun