Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified

Within 4 years I had lens replacement surgey and retinal detachment

Within 4 years I had lens replacement surgey and retinal detachment surgery on my right eye. During recovery, my eye developed inflammation which reduced the size of my iris and kept my pupil permanently open. Now, my cornea has developed edema and I have white hazing which interferes with my vision. What can I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 7 years ago.
Treatment in the form of steriod eye drops will reduce inflammation and possibly prevent further exacerbation of corneal haze. Corneal haze quite frequently indicates a serious disease process in progress leading to inflammation of the cornea (keratitis).

The most definitive treatment of corneal opacification such as the type that you are having is a corneal transplant.

For a more detailed reading on a corneal transplant please refer to the following link:
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The eye doctor stated that the only reason he can consider to date as to why my cornea is having problems was the stress of two major eye operations on the same eye. Now you are saying that I might have a disease in progress and the only possible alternative is to have another eye operation on the same eye? How did I get this possible inflammation of the cornea? I have no other options?

Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 7 years ago.
Well, had it been only stress resulting in your corneal haze, your eye doctor would not have prescribed steriods eye drops. Prescribing steriod eye drops indicates that even your eye doctor thinks that it is inflammation that is causing your eye opacification. Stress should not lead to inflammation of the cornea leading to haze. One obvious of persisting inflammation in your case could be as a result of inflammation of your iris (the colored portion of the eye) or inflammation could be resulting as a complication of surgeries that you have had to the eyes. Once corneal opacification develops it is permanent much in the same way in which opacifications of the lens (cataract) is permanent. When lens has opacification the lens has to be removed and replaced by an artificial lens. Similarly when the cornea is opacified the only permanent cure for this is called as keratoplasy (corneal transplant). I would advise that you discuss your options with your eye doctor.

Kindest Regards