Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

For the last three days I am experiencing intolerable upper

Customer Question

For the last three days I am experiencing intolerable upper thigh pain in both thighs. Out of a scale of 1 - 10 it is a 15. I've tried massaging, stretching, nothing seems to help except when i take an advil the pain will go away temporarily but then will immediately come back when the med wears off. Please help, the pain is excruciating.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Any change to color or temperature of legs/feet?

What have you been doing within the last week? Any unusual activities?

Where is the pain located? Does it move?

Does anything make it better or worse?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No change to the the color or temperature. Thigh looks normal from outside. No unusual activity whatsoever. I am a physically fit 34 yr old woman and weigh 105 lbs. If I run the shower on the hottest setting, almost scalding and let the water hit my upper thighs then the pain goes away for three minutes or so. Other than that nothing works. I tried eating, hydrating, massaging, stretching. I am sitting here now feeling like both my upper thighs were shot. They are aching, pulling and cramping. It feels like torture.
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

With sudden onset pain in both legs then I would be worried about reduced circulation, but you do not mention any change in color temperature that would support this. Also your age makes this a lower risk.

Other possible causes include trapped nerve although the fact that it is in both thighs makes this less likely although not impossible.

As the advil and heat give you some relief then that suggests there is inflammation or muscle spasm occurring. In an older person I might suggest a problem like polymyalgia rheumatica.

Given the severity of the pain then I would suggest that you go to ER for assessment of circulation and musculoskeletal examination. They will be able to give you stronger anti-inflammatory that may help, as well as something for muscle spasm if this is deemed appropriate. They will also be able to do blood test to look for raised inflammatory markers.