Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I am a 58 year old male with low Testosterone. I weight 190

I am a 58 year old male with low Testosterone. I weight 190 lbs with not body muscle and lot of body fat including large breasts. I have very little body hair with extremely small genitals and erected penis of 3 1/1" Very late puberty. I go to the gym three days a week with cardio and free weights. The endo doctor I am seeing perscribed for me Arimidex 1 mg a day. I am taking it for about 3 months now and noticed loss of hair on the back and top of head. Is this common and is there another alternative? I feel that I am living in a boys body that never became a man.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Armidex acts to increase your natural endogenous testosterone, the pattern of hair loss on head is in keeping with male pattern baldness and is associated with change in androgen levels.

Although armidex is still relatively new in the treatment of low testosterone, it is felt to be superior to testosterone replacement in the older gentleman. After three months, you are starting to see the benefits of armidex on your testosterone levels and blood tests will confirm this. It is still unclear as to how the external impact of these changing levels will manifest in the indivdual however it is considered that normal age-appropriate levels should be obtained.

Your other alternative is a testosterone supplment such as testosterone gel which is applied to the skin, this is an external source and has complications of impact on blood disorders and enlargement of prostate. I would suggest that you persist with the armidex for the time being, and discuss your worries with your endocrinlogist.

Regarding the weight loss, do make sure that you have 30 minutes of brisk walking every day, and calorie controlled diet of 1800-2200 per day intake.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. But I am still uncertain if the Arimidex is incresing the male pattern bladness and what can I do to gain the hair back. While this also give me body hair.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

It is the increase in endogenous testosterone which is having the consequence of hair loss, this is a feature of secondary sexual characteristic which would have been natural to you if the testosterone had not been low for many years. There are products which may help(minoxidil) but these are expensive and need to be used long term. Also any growth is quickly lost on discontinuing the products.

What was your father's pattern of hair loss over the years?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My dad had some hair but was very hairy body wise and musclar. I have 2 boys and they also have body haie and are built. With late pubity ,nolack of body hair, depression, I am hoping Arimidax will work but I am extemely worried about the hair loss and I still have not seen an visublr difference with my body.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

This will not in itself transform your body structure without careful toning and weight lifting. You should make sure that you are under the guidance of a physical trainer to maximize your response to this drug.

Bearing in mind your age, you will find that your overall response in terms of physical characteristics will be less than if you had started the drug in your early adulthood.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One last question....Is this drug safe would it cause other concerns heart attack, prostate cancer.. etc.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

At the moment studies of the use of this drug in men are quite limited, there has been reports of changes in LDL levels, and slight increases in PSA but information is not available as to the long term impact of this.

I would recommend that you attend regular health screening tests as part of your ongoing follow up. Reduce your other cardiovascular risks (diet, salt, blood pressure etc) as much as possible.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.