Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist

For Dr.Saurabh Joshi,I had an Internal Carotid Dissection that

For Dr.Saurabh Joshi,I had an Internal Carotid Dissection that initially showed narrow lumen starting just above the bifurcation extending to the cavernous sinus. A year later I had a Doppler Carotid Ultrasound that came back "No stenosis, No occlusions, good velocity" All normal. My question is, can that type of test detect stenosis and occlusions as high as the cavernous Sinus.

Thank you for requesting me. I appreciate the gesture.

To visualize the Cavernous part of the Internal carotid artery, an MRI Angiography of the brain would be a good non invasive modality.

Other methods can be a CT a angiography or a Digital Substraction Angiography of the Cerebral vessels, but this would be invasive and involve X ray radiation exposure.

I would advise going for a MR Angiography.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX answer helps you.

Kindest Regards,

Dr. Saurabh Joshi
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My GP told me that through waveform analysis (?) they could detect stenosis or occlusions up ahead. And there was no turbulance or resistance. They took that to mean no distal blockages. Any comments?
A Doppler waveform analysis would give an indication if here is an obstruction distally. But any one of the modalities that I stated above will actually demonstrate the circulatory system and not leave anything to speculation.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Joshi
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I originally had a CT Angio that said my circle of Willis was great. That was the first test I mentioned in the first post. Is that the circulatory system you mean? Also I kind of think they mean the dissection extended TO the Cavernous Sinus. Not in it if that makes any sense. Anyway, if you have any comment that'd be great and I;ll stop here and give you a great rateing!!

The circle of willis is further ahead after the terminal branching on the internal carotid into middle and anterior cerebral arteries.

You can have a a dissection that extends to the cavernous segment and still have a normal circle of willis.