Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

This question is for a Radiologist. I had an Internal Carotid

Customer Question

This question is for a Radiologist. I had an Internal Carotid Dissection that initially showed narrow lumen starting just above the bifurcation extending to the cavernous sinus. A year later I had a Doppler Carotid Ultrasound that came back "No stenosis, No occlusions, good velocity" All normal. My question is, can that type of test detect stenosis and occlusions as high as the cavernous Sinus.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
The simple answer is no, a carotid Doppler cannot tell you ajythng about the cavernous sinus.

The tests that would be needed to determine if a dissection was affecting the cavernous sinus, is an angiogram, a ct angiogram, or a mr angiogram. A carotid Doppler can only "see" the first part of the internal carotid artery, and would not he an adequate study for the cavernous sinus.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I asked about that with my family Dr. and he said something about waveform analysis (?) and that the blood flow showed no turbulance or restriction so there would be no blockage up higher. Any comments would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think I should of said, can that Ultrasound detect stenosis or occlusion in the cavernous segment of the Carotid artery. Not a study of the cavernous sinus.