Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States

32 year old female, yesterday throwing up, today, diareah (sp ),

32 year old female, yesterday throwing up, today, diareah (sp?), fever 102.8. Has been drinking lots of apple juice and water so not to dehydrate.   Has chills and aches all over. Just took 2 extra strength tylenol. What else can we do at this point and how soon should I check her temp to see if the tylenol has had an impact. Should I give her motrin?

Hold off on the Motrin as that will upset the stomach.

She most likely has a viral gastroenteritis, which is a viral infection of the stomach and intestines. This may cause nausea, vomiting, and an upset stomach. It may also cause lowered abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Viral infections of the G.I. tract will usually resolve within 48-72 hours, however some infections may last up to one week. It is most important during this illness that she maintain hydration. She must drink plenty of fluids. Clear fluids such as clear juices, the syrup juice from canned fruit, or electrolyte drinks (ie. Gatorade) are best. Also Jello and broth may be taken. If she is hungry then she may eat toast, plain rice, or crackers. To treat the nausea and vomiting or upset stomach she may take over the counter Compazine. For diarrhea she may take over-the-counter Imodium. If her symptoms persist for longer then a week or if she develops high fevers or have bloody diarrhea must see her doctor immediately. While she is sick try to maintain good hygiene with careful handwashing and not sharing your personal items with others as this is how this infection is spread. I hope she will feel better.

Click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) or I do not get credit for my answer. Take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.