Doctor Harrison
Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health

my lower intestine on the left hand side..belly..genitals

Customer Question

For the past 3 days I've been having discomfort in my lower intestine on the left hand side about half way between my belly button and genitals. The pain is minor like gas but constant. Just uncomfortable. I'm a 57 year old male very active (have swam these past 3 days). Any recommendations as to what may be causing the pain/discomfort?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Harrison replied 7 years ago.

Hi Cliff,

What you are describing sounds very suspicious for diverticulitis. This is inflammation of small little pockets in the bowel. At 57 yo, you almost certainly have some diverticular disease, although if you had a colonoscopy within the last year you should know for sure.

Diverticulitis is usually diagnosed by a CT scan with contrast. If this confirms the diagnosis, you will be placed on antibiotics and a modified diet. With this, you will make a full recovery.

The other likely diagnosis is just a muscle strain of your lower abdomen from the swimming the last 3 days. This would be more likely if the pain gets worse with twisting your trunk, sitting up, or coughing. If these make it worse, I would take some motrin and ice the area down, as well as hold off with the swimming for a week or so.

Good luck.

Please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, thank you for your answer. Did you get the remainder of my message? I will go and get a colonostpy when I get home next week. In the meantime I'll be sure to eat soft foods and be careful about what I eat. Any other suggestions?

Actually, the remainder of your message posted after I had responded, so I didn't see it - Sorry.

Since it has been 5-6 years since your last colonoscopy, I think you getting one next week is an excellent idea. If your pain increases in the meantime, you should get evaluated before the c-scope. All in alkl, I think you have a good handle on what is going on and will do fine. Happy New Year!

Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so very much for your expertise and kind soothing words. I'll sleep better tonight thanks to you.

Happy New Year Doctor Harrison to you and your loved ones....

You are welcome, but please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my time answering your questions.

Happy New Year.