Doctor Harrison
Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health
14430248

unusual pain in the right side and quad muscle

Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Harrison replied 7 years ago.

Can you provide me with a little more information and a question? Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what more info do you want?

Sorry, I should have clarified.

The pain is on the right side of your leg, back, or abdomen? Have you had any trauma to the leg? Any new workouts?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I skied on Sunday but no falls. The pain in my legs, mostly the right, did not start until last night. I have some pain on the right side above the waist, but does not hurt to the touch. The pain is like a deep ache mostly in my right leg. At this time it seems to be subsiding. I don't have a clue what is going on.

It is likely that you strained your quad muscle while skiing. The pain from a muscle strain is usually worst 48-72 hours after the injury, which works out pretty well for your skiing being the cause. A quad strain can be quite uncomfortable, and best treatment for you is Ice, motrin and rest. It should get better over the next 3-4 days.

Believe it or not, even without falling you can incur a significant muscle strain. I'm confident this is your diagnosis. If the pain persists or gets worse, you should see your doctor for a non-contrast MRI of your quadriceps.

Good luck.

Please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful.