Doctor Harrison
Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health
14430248

I am concerned with a friends refusal to go into the hospital

I am concerned with a friend's refusal to go into the hospital when he claims he is not feeling well, his legs cannot support him, does not focus, refuses to eat, has had a bad cough for two weeks and sleeps all day. Paramedics were called yesterday but since he refused to be taken to the hospital, there was nothing they could do. Are there any doctors willing to do an in house assessment and make recommendations about how one should proceed with his care?

This is a tough situation. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a new physician for a patient to do a home visit in what sounds like a medical emergency. My only advice is to stay with your friend and if he becomes confused at any point, he is no longer "mentally competent" to refuse transfer to the hospital by the paramedics. I assume they assessed him during your first call and deemed him competent to refuse care. As long as someone knows what they are doing - even if it is bad judgment - they can't be forced to go to the hospital. As soon as this judgment is off due to medical reasons, the paramedics can do whatever is medically necessary.

Perhaps you could get another friend or a family member to persuade him? If not, stay by your friend and make the call if you thing the judgment ids being altered from his condition. When the paramedics show up, make your opinion well known and forceful.

Good luck and keep being a great friend (it is obvious you care a lot).

Please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful.