Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States

WE are looking for a saliva substitute product to replace

Customer Question

WE are looking for a saliva substitute product to replace the one my husband used for ten years. The company is no longer making this product. It is a gel-like liquid with the perfect viscosity to suit my husband's dry mouth from head and neck radiation. We have tried many over the counter products including salagen. We have not found anything that compares.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hi, thanks for the question.

Have you all tried Salavart yet?

There is also a medication that will actually help his body produce saliva, called Cevimeline. I'll include the link so that you can read about it...$=drug_bottom_one&rid=medmaster.chapter.a608025

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes. He has NO saliva and has not had for ten+ years. We need an oral saliva substitute?? Thanks and Happy New Year!

What about Oral Balance?? Has he tried it yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He tried it years ago?? I wonder if a cancer specialist would be better suited to answer this question? Perhaps an otolaryngologist in a cancer treatment center who sees patients who have had radiation would have some input?? I don't know how to get this out there to get my husband some help? I really appreciate you trying to help. Maybe the product we are looking for simply doesn't exist?

You might want to check with a home health agency or home health store to see what they have. Atleast that way, you can see the product in hand and see if it resembles what you are looking for. Or you can speak with someone in the store to see if they have a list of the saliva substitues and you can determine which ones you have already tried. Just a thought. Hope you find what you are looking for! Happy New Year to you too!

Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

I do not wish to interfere with the prior experts answer but I would suggest the following free url which lists many different products that you may be able to use. If you find this useful you may accept nurse Milli's efforts.