Doctor Harrison
Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health

swelling on my tung and lips

Customer Question

I have swelling on my tung and lips i don't know what has caused this .I have been taking beadryl but it"s not helping ,what should i do
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Harrison replied 7 years ago.

Swelling of the lips and tongue are symptoms of an allergic reaction to something. Benadryl is a good start, but if it isn't helping you need to go to the emergency room right now or dial 911. If this continues, you may get throat swelling and not be able to breathe. You need medical attention now! If you only took 25 mg of benadryl, take another 25 and go to the ER or dial 911.

I wish you well.

Please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how will i know if the benidryl is helping? i just started taking it throat is sore?

You already told me the benadryl hasn't helped. You can take up to 50 mg a day, but you need to take this seriously and see a medical professional NOW. Don't wait any longer, because you are having an allergic reaction to something and if the swelling travels to your throat, you won't be able to breath.

Please see a doctor now.

Click ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my work. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have prednzone 5mg should i take that?

There is no other way to say this (although I appreciate your persistence) - you need to see a medical professional now and not self treat yourself. This condition could kill you if you are not careful.

Please click ACCEPT .