Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,

I have type 2 diabetes, Im taking Glipazide XL 5MG 2 in the

I have type 2 diabetes, I'm taking Glipazide XL 5MG 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I'm also taking Janumet 50/1000MG Tablets 2 times a day. I can't get my sugar under control and do not want to inject insulin. My question is at night I when I go to bed and I'm ready to go to bed, I get a sharp pain in my feet. What can my doctor give me for the pain?

Has your doctor prescribed insulin?

What have your blood sugars been running?

Are you following a specific diet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He has prescribed Insulin but I'm too chicken to inject myself. That's why we decided on taking the medicine orally. My sugar has been running from 225 to 374. I know this is bad.

I'm Puerto Rican so my diet depends on caribbean foods. But the pain on my feet gets unbeable while I try to go to sleep. I do have feeling on my feet. I'm 5'8 and weight 253lbs.

thanks for further information!

You may have to take the insulin just until you can get things under control. Do you have a friend who will help you with it? The size of the needles are very small now and there should be no pain.

Try to avoid white foods and increase whole grains, instead of white potatoes, try yams. Instead of white rice and white bread, try brown. This can make a huge difference. Of course avoid things with sugars in them.

If you are having neuropathy which may be causing your foot pain, and is related to diabetes, there are some medications your doctor can prescribe that you can try such as neurontin or gabapentin. Getting your blood sugar under more control should help the pain a lot too.

Try to find someone to help you with the insulin would be my best advice.