Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified

Almost instantly after I take a big drink of cold liquid I

Almost instantly after I take a big drink of cold liquid I start to experience irregular heart beats.   I am not sure if it is my heart or coming from low in my throat.   It will last a long time before subsiding. What can this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 7 years ago.
In the vast majority of cases these irregular beats that you have experienced are nothing to worry about. They are a very common occurrence and does not mean that your heart is abnormal. In the vast majority of cases it happens with a normal heart. They can happen when you either have one odd missed beat in the heart or extra beats in the heart. It is great to know that they have subsided. It is however best to get an EKG (ECG) of your heart when you do have these missed beats next time around just to be on the safe side.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had EKG's, Echocardiogram, Stress Test and Heart Catherization twice and both times they say my heart is ok. Little enlarged I believe on the bottom. My question is why do these annoying flipping and pounding movements start when I take a drink of something cold? I sometimes think it is not even coming from my heart but that is the only thing I can think of when I try to describe the feeling. Could it be some sort of spasm in my throat? When I told my Dr. what happens when I drink cold liquids he just said not to do that anymore.
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 7 years ago.
Drinking cold water can cause spasms in the esophagus (food pipe) as well, so yes you are right it can be a spasm in the esophagus but usually the esophageal spasms do not present with the symptoms that you are mentioning. Cold water can cause stimulation of the nerves in the esophagus that also supply the heart (vagus nerve) that can result in heart palpitations as well in some people.

Kindest Regards