Doctor Harrison
Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health

I was waken with horrible pain in my foot the other night that

I was waken with horrible pain in my foot the other night that has proceeded to swell and become red. The pain is hot, tingly and shooting at times. I can not bear weight on the foot and the pain has not gone away for 5 days. I have been to see the doc twice and there is no fractures of any kind. They are thinking infection but dont know for sure. They mentioned maybe shingles. what do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Harrison replied 7 years ago.

What you are describing sounds very suspicious for gout. It will give you a very swollen, painful, red foot without any history of trauma. The diagnosis is made by exam, but a blood test for uric acid can help (it should be high). If it is gout, colchicine and possibly steroids will help.

Shingles shouldn't give you a very red foot - it should just be a few red spots. Because of this, I think shingles is unlikely.

Good luck.

Please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was tested for gout as well and it was ruled out. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

I'm glad to hear that gout was ruled out, although this can not be ruled out by lab testing.

Infection, like cellulitis, would be the next diagnosis to consider. Perhaps you were bitten by an insect at night that got infected. It would be reasonable to start antibiotics like Keflex and see if the symptoms resolve. If not, you should get a lower extremety doppler to rule out a clot in your leg vein, but this seems unlikely.

I wish you well.

Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work.