Doctor Harrison
Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health
14430248

I was hanging a picture over my bed and stepped down (backwards)

I was hanging a picture over my bed and stepped down (backwards) off the bed...thinking that I was stepping down about 12 inches ... and the distance was actually about 30 inches. I heard a crunching sound along the right side of my right foot. It's been about a week now... initially there was swelling in my foot, and now there isn't any...but I continue to have pain on the right side of my foot that does not feel muscular.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Harrison replied 7 years ago.

Sorry to hear about the injury. There are two likely possibilities here. First, you may have just had an ankle sprain. The ligaments of your ankle attach to the outside of your foot and when torn, will give a crunching noise. The swelling indicates a ligament tear, and this can take 6-8 weeks with a severe sprain to heal. Motrin, Ice, and an "AIRCAST" are usually what you need.

However, some people suffer an avulsion fraction where the ligament attaches to the base of one of the bones in your foot. There is initially swelling, but the pain persists after the swelling resolves. The treatment is similar, but you need an Xray to assess the extent of the injury and possible immobilization of the foot.

In summary, I recommend an x ray of your foot. This is the only way to know if it is just a sprain or a fracture. Either way, you should make a full recovery with proper treatment, but you may need some physical therapy to get there. See your doctor foot the xray.

Good luck.

Please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful.