Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I recently had a person bleed on my pants leg. upon standing,

I recently had a person bleed on my pants leg. upon standing, the blood soaked through and smeared on the skin of my leg. I had just shaved my legs 2hours earlier and my skin was irritated as it usually is after shaving. I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol. I didn't have any open cuts, but the acholol made my freshly shaven legs sting. Should i been worried about any exposure to anything infectous, such as HIV or Hepatitis? thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 7 years ago.
The risk of contacting HIV or Hepatitis from this type of exposure is VERY small indeed. While I understand your concern, there really is such a small risk, that testing is generally not suggested for this type of contact.

If you are that concerned, you could of course talk to your doctor about having blood tests done to confirm that you have not contacted any infection - but this would be done purely for your own reassurance.