sarahfnp-bc
sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.
8719088

Im currently deployed and at a location that is at a much higher

Im currently deployed and at a location that is at a much higher altitude than im used to. Ive started haveing some slight burning in my toes and front end of my foot. It happens a couple times a day, I obviously notice it more when im not active. It also seems to be happening right above my knee as well every now and again. there are no signs of cracking or flaking or dry skin that would suggest athletes foot. what could this be...maybe from the alt?
Category: Health
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 5 years ago.

Hey Flyboy,

Thanks for the question.

How long have yo been at this altitude? What is the altitude?

Do you notice it more when your lying in bed or trying to go to sleep?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been here for about a month. The alt when im on the ground is just under 5000feet..im a flyer so im up at other altudes almost daily but thats nothing new for me. I wouldnt say i notice it more when trying to sleep or laying down..just more so when im not active..could just be sitting on the couch...its not a very intense pain but im noticing it more and more and it doenst seem to be going away.

Hi Flyboy,

I'm sorry it took me a minute to answer you. My computer shut down on me.

I don't think it's due to the altitude. You have been there a month which is plenty of time to acclimate.

It sounds like you are a pilot? My guess is you were tested for diabetes prior to enlisting. It might not be a bad idea to have some baseline investigations repeated now. Just to make sure nothing has changed. Especially if you have noticed an increase in thirst, urination, or visual changes.

The other thing that came to mind is the possibility of lower lumbar trauma. Especially if you are being bumped around in your plane. Some forms of lower lumbar injury show up with pain in the legs, feet or toes. Sciatica is one of them. It's really important to stretch every morning and night. I'm going to include a link that includes Sciatic exercises.

http://www.sciaticpaintreatment.com/Sciatica-Stretches.html

Another possibility is something called RLS or restless leg syndrome. It usually causes a crawling, jumping or burning sensation at rest. There are tons of treatment options for RLS that include medication, physical therapy, and other alternative treatments. The above exercises are good for RLS as well. So start the stretches immediately and see if you get some relief.

Here is some more information on RLS.

www.rls.org/

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sarah

sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience: OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.

Flyboy,

Did you get a chance to check out the RLS website to see if the symptoms matched yours?

Did you have any other questions or did that answer your question tonight?