Family Medicine
Family Medicine, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified Family Medicine

I have knee stiffness 6 months after total knee replacement.

I have knee stiffness 6 months after total knee replacement. Range of motion went from 113 to 81. What would the cause be?

There can be several possible causes of inadequate mobility of the knee joint and stiffness after surgery that include inadequate or interuppted physical therapy after surgery, limited motion activities after rehabilitation, ligamentous scarring, some surgical technique effects on range of motion etc

In case of scarring( if it is the cause), some times surgeon has ro relieve the stiffness by manipulating the scarr tissue by another surgery but again it depends upon the cause and extent of scarring alongwith other co morbid conditions.

I will advise you to reschedule with orthopedic surgeon who performed the surgey for re evaluation and to stratify the management to make it more comfortable, more flexible and to increase range of motion.

Also your physical therapist may devise special exercises in order to help you better.

Best wishes