NeuroDoc1
NeuroDoc1, Doctor
Experience:  Neurology Residency completed 2006, Board Certified Neurologist
14010256

Hello everyone, I was at my gp for my results after having

Hello everyone,
I was at my gp for my results after having lower back pain for several years and assuming it was just fatique or age.
My results of my osteoperosis were normal but my results of my x-ray spine lumbo sacral were:
there are five non rib bearing lumbar vertebrae. There are of normal height and density. the disc spaces are maintained.
There is unilateral sclerosis on the iliac side of the right sacro-iliac joint.Is there a history of trauma or infection.

Well I was frighted by this. I told my doctor that I did have a major car accident while I was 4 months pregnant. I slid on a curve and fell in a ditch. I was not wearing my seatbelt and my head broke the windsheild in front and I found myself in the passengers side down where our feet usually are.
Nothing was broken I didn't loose consciousness but just was sore everywhere and had minor cuts to my head.
They only did an xray on my neck and head due to the pregnancy and all was well but all this was 18 years ago and I had another child 14 years ago by c-section.

Now my doctor send me for a bone scan and an mri.
I am brousing on the internet and I AM CONCERNED WHAT COULD I HAVE AND HOW SERIOUS COULD THIS BE.

CONCERNED KOULA
Category: Health
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 7 years ago.

The lumbar spine xrays sound normal except for the sclerosis, which is an area of scarring in the bone.

Often sclerosis is due to degenerative joint disease, but it can be due to back injuries, or instability in the spine due to things such as fractures, infections, or rarely things like tumors or problems in the way your body utilizes calcium or other minerals. The MRI is much better than a plain xray at examining the soft tissues in the spine such as the ligaments, disks and nerves. The bone scan uses special substances called "tracers" to locate areas of inflammation, which usually correlate with things such as infections or tumors.

Your doctor is probably just being on the safe side to make sure there is no other unusual cause for your back pain and this area of bone scarring.

Best wishes to you.