luvtohelp
luvtohelp, Doctor
Experience:  six years of direct patient care

what are the symptoms of oral trichomonasis

Category: Health
Expert:  luvtohelp replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com. Follow-up questions are welcome. Vaginal "Trich" is a parasitic infection of the vagina, most often transmitted sexually. Symptoms are pain, itching, bleeding, green or yellow think dishcarge, and sometimes scant bleeding. Pain with intercourse is also reported. I imagine the symptoms are similar for oral trich -pain, itching, burning... You can have your doctor take a sample and look for the critters under a microscope. The treatment is just a few days (1-14) of metronidazole (flagyl). If this in the case, your partner should also be treated as he will re-infect you when your resume sexual behavior.

I do hope I have helped. Thank you for the question, I am pleased to assist you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My question is whether or not it can be contracted orally, and what are the symptoms?

Thank You

Expert:  luvtohelp replied 5 years ago.

Yes, rarely this has been reported. Thsi occurs with oral sex. The trich bug invades and irritated the mucosa of the mouth and can cause the symptoms as I described in addition to oral sores. The treatment is metronidazole for you and for your partner.

I hope this clarifies a bit more.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My partner was tested 3months ago and the results were negative...but we had oral sex for the first time since just a few days ago..now my throat is sore...what are the statistics of wrong test results
Expert:  luvtohelp replied 5 years ago.

Screening tests are very sensitive (meaning the are more likely to give a false positive than to miss something). Trich is not routinely tested for, especially in men. He would have had to specifically request this. If you really feel that the sore throat, then you should BOTH be tested again. However, do not forget that there are many causes of sore throats-the timing could be coincidence. Also, the other STDs can cause sore throat too. Your throat may be irritated from swallowing semen or from spermacide of condom was used.

Please see: http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/sore_throat.jsp

Expert:  luvtohelp replied 5 years ago.

I meant to say that if you really feel the sore throat is possibly due to trich, you should both be re-tested.

You can have your doctor do a throat swab and culture to know for sure.

I am only imagine how concerned you must be. Follow-up questons are welcomed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok..I could just be parinoid. He said they tested by inserting a swab into the opening of his penis, in addition to taking blood and urine., they also tested for all other std's and it was negative. I understand that the sore throat could be from something else, but if you think I should be tested again please let me know...this is my last question...lol Happy New Year and Thank You.
Expert:  luvtohelp replied 5 years ago.

Oh no worries, you are no bother at all. Perhaps for your own peace of mind could get a throat culture. But with the negative tests you guys have done, an STD sounds unlikely in the context of monogamy.

Thank you for this question.

luvtohelp, Doctor
Experience: six years of direct patient care