Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I had a really bad case of athletes foot as a teenager, and

Customer Question

I had a really bad case of athlete's foot as a teenager, and it has never really gone away completely, I fear. I am now 48. For the past 20 years I have had intermittent outbreaks of cracking and itching between my toes which were controlled by over-the-couter remedies. About 10 years ago, my toenails started to disfigure and turn white underneath. The bottom of my feet also began pealing, so much so that I could literally peal a quarter of an inch of dead skin off the bottom of my feet each week. Then, last January a local Nurse Practitioner prescribed Lamasil. I did about 1/3 of the regimen, until they said it was negatively effecting my liver function, and they took me off of it. It HAS been working in terms of clearing up my nails to some degree and stopping my feet from pealing. Now, however, my entire body itches, especially at night. I bring up little tiny bumps when I scratch. Has the fungus been driven throughout my body somehow, and if so, what can I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

Greetings.

The itching at night may not be related to fungus of the nail or foot. It can be different condition, probably scabies which usually itches at night. You may apply
OTC anti scabies preparation along with antihistamine Benadryl. If they do not help, you have to consult dermatologist for examination your foot, nail and entire body itching to get the precise diagnosis and treatment.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your recovery.
Any query, please ask.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, Doctor. I truly appreciate it and will look into the possibility of scabies.

I noticed, however, that you quickly dismissed the possibility that the Lamasil had forced my foot fungus throughout other parts of my body. Perhaps I did not emphasize that the itching started when I was ordered to preemptorily discontinue use of the Lamasil.

Does that affect your answer in any way?

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Premature discontinuation of lamisil can cause flare up of fungal infection but it should occur locally in the foot & in adjacent parts like leg , thigh etc . So it is unusual to spread the whole body in that way.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, thank you.

I have consulted the AMA's "Family Medical Guide" and it would seem to rule out scabies for the following reasons:

1. Scabies is said to be highly contagious, and my wife of 26 years who sleeps with me each night does not have, and neither do our children.

2. Our personal hygiene is very good. Our sheets are changed and washed at least weekly.

3. I have some of the most intense itching on the top of my head, and the AMA says it is rare for scabies to locate there.

Further, I have often had "winter itch" in past years because we heat with wood, and even though we try to put additional moisture into the air, it is still pretty dry here in Northern Maine during the winter. This past summer was the first time (following the Lamasil treatments) that it did not go away with the change in weather.

Have you heard of other oral treatemnts for fungus that work differently (or better) than Lamasil?

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
As it was not written of the head , I thought it in other partof the body . It is rare to be in the head , except in children. The other probable cause is allergy. I think you need to consult with a dermatologist for precise diagnosis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, doctor.

I told you initially that the problem was itching across the "entire body." I am not sure why you would jump immediately to scabies, or say "As it was not written of the head." It seems that was the easiest way to just get an answer out without actually trying to determine if Lamasil might be the cause of the problem.

It could be an allergy, but might that allergy not be related to Lamisil?

Let's talk about Lamasil. Why don't we examine that possibility more thoroughly?

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
I wrote above about lamisil . Sorry I have to go offline , so I am opting out, leaving you question open , so that other experts can help you.
Thanks for asking question on JA.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All that you said about Lamasil was that it can cause a flare up when discontinued early that is more localized than what I have been experiencing. I am looking for some straight answers now about Lamasil, as I've been getting quite a few dodgy responses here and elsewhere....
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 5 years ago.

i agree with Dr SS that your condition is linked with allergic condition. there are side effects with Lamasil(CREAM/TABLET) ,In clinical studies, 0.9% of patients taking Lamisil Tablet discontinued therapy because of a skin rash .

as the expert said premature discontinuation of Lamisil may flare up the fungal infection,but it should flare localy not as a generalised (inflamatory ie, allergic type reaction)response as in your case.

you need to consult doctor for manual clinical examination (some blood work may be required )

as you are interested in Lamasil heres a link that outlines the main side effects.

http://www.nails-fungus.com/lamisil-side-effects.html

Regards

Dr Singh, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD