Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I have lower back pain and discoloration on my back. I do drink

I have lower back pain and discoloration on my back. I do drink and I am wondering if it has something to do with my liver? I did hit my back a while ago. The pain is not there when I sit or lay. Its there when I stand or bend. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Since when the pain & the discoloration? Is the discoloration in the same site where you hit? How the discoloration look like ? area? Pl describe the site of both.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I hit my back about 2 months ago. The pain is in the center of my lower back. The discoloration was there after the hit. It looked like a bruse and now just looks spotty and faded in color. I used a heating pad for several days (24 - 7) I thought maybe that was why the color is still there. I did put on pain cream along with the heating pad.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

The pain in the lower back is often found in people whose work involves physical effort. In some cases it can be due to weakness of muscles of the back. Regular exercise to strengthen the back muscles often help. It can be due to trauma too. In other cases it can be due to slipped disc, osteoporosis, any deformity of spine , infection or growth. The discoloration sounds like collection of blood under skin from trauma which is gradually getting absorbed.It can come from excessive use of heating pad. Liver disease usally does not cause lower back pain. Back pain sometimes is caused by kidney disease. When it is continuing for 2 months it will be prudent to get an examination by doctor & have X rays/ scans if necessary.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your early recovery.
Any query, please ask.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what causes kidney disease? I was just concerned about liver disease. I do drink quite a bit.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Kidney disease which commonly causes pain are infection & stone.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there something I can take to try to reduce the pain? I am on a low income and can not afford to go to a Dr. Last question I promise
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
You can try ibuprofen or naproxen after meal to reduce the pain when it is severe. But prolonged use is not advisable. So a proper diagnosis will help you.