Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I have a boil that has opened up. I have been putting Neosporin

I have a boil that has opened up. I have been putting Neosporin on it and covering it. Should I continue to use the Neosporin or can I use an antiobiotic cream called Bactroban Cream 2% that I had for a prior skin condition?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for using JA this evening.

An open wound such as this is easily infected. You should keep it clean (clean as possible) and can use the Bactroban cream on it as long as it is stil in date (not expired). If it begins to swell, feel hot/warm to the touch, or redness worsens, you should see your Dr.

As the opening begins to close, after a few days, you can wash it gently with soap (Dial) and water and continue the cream.