Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have bruised ribs. Its been two weeks since the injury.

I have bruised ribs. It's been two weeks since the injury. I've rested 3 days after injury. I started exercising(running, wt. lifting and did some abs routine after the the third day of rest. The next day I was in lots of pain.(rib area). I don't know when I can start exercising without delaying my healing. Can you please help me. What should I do, should rest longer or should I start exercising at a slow pace?

How did you injure your ribs?

Is there pain on pressing/tenderness at the site of injury? Any swelling?

Are you on any medications?

Is breathing or chest expansion causes pain?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A 6' 2' 345 person gave me a bear hug to the point of lots of pain and felt something move in my ribs. I feel pain when I touch that area, when I turn suddenly, laugh, carry my son on the side of injury and when I greet someone with a hug it hurt on the side of injury. I have no problems when i breath normal. When I breath deep I feel a little pain not much.( It feels more sore than anything.) I taking 800mg of ibuprofen.

The pressure must have hurt your muscles and costochondral junctions (joint between the ribs and costal cartilages) and may have sprained the junction of the rib and cartilage or caused costochondritis. Read about it;

Treatment entails

1) rest,

2) anti-inflammatory analgesics for three weeks,

3) heating pad,

4) local analgesic patch / ointment /spray,

5) rib brace (this supports the tissue and junctions and is very important in chronic pains),

5) iontophoresis, phonophoresis done at physical therapy centers.

6) other deep therapy like short wave diathermy.

Any weight lifting or strenuous exercise will aggravate the pain and should be avoided for atleast for the three weeks. The exercise regime like running or jogging which does not hurt can be commenced and should be gradually increased, as you mentioned.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just to me more specific to where my exact pain is coming from. It is my left side of my torso, last three to four ribs from the bottom. Can I count the last 5 days as part of the 3 weeks healing process? Thanks!

This seems to be musculoskeletal/costochondritis. Yes, you can count the last 5 days as part of healing process.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun