Dr Heal
Dr Heal, Doctor
Experience:  Graduate with a Bachelor
11859556

my grandmother has COPD is it okay for her to keep a bird in

Customer Question

my grandmother has COPD is it okay for her to keep a bird in the house
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
There is no specific problem in keeping birds for those with COPD, unless the person is allergic to birds.

Some persons can develop hypersensitivity to birds, just as some are hypersensitive to cats. Such persons can develop allergic lung conditions to birds. There is no way to know now whether she has such a hypersensitivity if she has never kept birds before. But if she has had birds of the same species before wihout any specific problem, then she can keep pet birds.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But she has had COPD for five years, she has always had the bird, Is having the bird gonna make her COPD worse.
Expert:  Dr Heal replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

COPD is usually a condition which gets aggravated when a person is exposed to smoking or secondary smoking or kitchen fumes or other known irritants to that person in the living environment. There has been no known documented evidence to show that keeping pet bird causes any problem to that person unless she has been specifically allergic to the bird feather moulds. If she has had no problem to the presence of bird in the past 5 years then there is no problem in continuing but an observance is advised.

with healthiest regards,

Dr.Renjusha