R Makaza
R Makaza, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB)with Honours in Surgery. 7 years experience.

I have a pain below the ear, on the jaw bone just beneath the

I have a pain below the ear, on the jaw bone just beneath the ear. It's very tender around the bottom of the ear and jaw. The glands under my neck are not inflamed, I have tried using ear drops to see if that helps.
Category: Health
Expert:  R Makaza replied 5 years ago.
Hi there

I the pain sharp or dull?

Is it constantly present or is it caused by movement of your jaw?

How long has this problem been happening?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it's more of ache then pain,very tendor when you touch around the ear.
Expert:  R Makaza replied 5 years ago.
Hi again

May you answer the following.

Is the pain constantly present or is it caused by movement of your jaw?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pain is on and off since last night, hurts a little bit when i move my jaw, hurts below the ear when i poke it about, just feels very tendor, no pain or swelling in the neck glands.
Expert:  R Makaza replied 5 years ago.
Hi again.

Thank you for the answers.

This pain most probably come from the skin and soft tissues in the area you have described and it would be difficult to pin point the exact cause of it since it has only been there for less than 24 hours.

However the parotid gland resides in this area as you know. This gland is very notorious for becoming more and more tender the more you touch and poke it. The pain you are experiencing is likely going to settle without doing much, as long as you do not keep on touching and feeling the area.

You may also benefit from simple anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen which you can get over the counter and you should be fine in a day or 2.

I hope you have found this information helpful and if that is the case please click accept.

Thank you
R Makaza, Doctor
Experience: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB)with Honours in Surgery. 7 years experience.