Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

what is kidney lobulation, and is it something to be worried

Customer Question

what is kidney lobulation, and is it something to be worried about?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

Do you have any symptoms? Was is diagnosed on ultrasonography? Have you done any other invetigation? Have you consulted kidney specialist?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have right side pain, intermittently, since August. It has been anywhere from seeming like stomach pain to mostly right side and the rightside back pain. I had an ultrasound of my stomach, liver, and right kidney, which all were deemed normal, and then, of my own choosing, I just recently had a full body scan in which the doctor (not my regular doctor) told me I have kidney lobulation (lobulated kidneys). He says it could be that my kidney(s) have been that way since birth, but he recommended that I have a kidney ultrasound. I have this unexplained pain on my right side. I have also had liver enzyme tests -- all normal. I just don't understand what lobulated kidneys are, so I want to know what they are and what they may mean/lead to. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

The kidney is normally having some indentation on its surface. In case of lobulation these are indentations are pronounced producing a lobulated structure . It is usually present from birth. If there is any infection or or there is any stone formation then there can be pain in kidney.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please ask.
Regards.