Doctor Harrison
Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health

What does it mean if your diarrhea is a redish brown color

Customer Question

What does it mean if your diarrhea is a redish brown color I have alot of bowel problems to begin with constipation, diarrhea so they said I have IBS I saw my primary care doctor today and I started having diarrhea again after I left from seeing him it was redish brown color if its means something wrong can it wait till Friday if I go to the Emergency Room then because I hate to be away for Christmas we are swedish so our big day is tomorrow and we our having an American Christmas on the 25th I know I've been felling very tired and somedays weak that sometimes I feel a bit shaky
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What info do you need
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
I recognized your name from someone who did not accept a perfectly good and timely answer that I had made in the past without any requests for clarification. Perhaps someone else will pick up this new question.

Click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Expert:  Doctor Harrison replied 5 years ago.

It appears a previous answer didn't post, so I'll answer your question. Your reddish brown stool likely reflects some bleeding in your lower GI tract. It sounds like you have had some bowel difficulties in the past and were diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Your bleeding likely either represents infection ( in which case you need to be seen now for treatment) or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). It is possible that you were mis-diagnosed in the past with IBS and are now presenting with IBD.

Either way, you are likely bleeding from your GI tract and are not feeling well. You should be seen by a doctor NOW for evaluation.You should have someone else drive you, or call 911.

I strongly recommend a colonoscopy once you are more stable to look for IBD, which consists of either Chron's disease or Ulcerative colitis.

In the meantime, I wouldn't take anything by mouth except water.

Good luck and I wish you well.

If this information is useful, please click ACCEPT.

Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happens if I do take something by mouth because I've been doing that since its the holiday but I noticed I feel more tired and just out of it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it because I am still eating since its the holiday I didn't want to miss and I do have bleed that I feel more tired and sometimes like out of it and weak and dizzy

The reason I've told you to avoid eating foods is because I feel you should be evaluated by a doctor for what may be bleeding. Anytime a patient may have bleeding in their GI tract, it is best to keep an empty stomach/colon in the case that a doctor needs to take a scope and look to find the bleeding.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you haven't seen a doctor yet, so you obviously can't starve yourself. Please get to a doctor to evaluate your stool changes!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What does it mean if you have alternating reddish brown diarrhea and constipation, and quite often get extremely hot with just a tee shirt and sweat shirt on that makes it feel like you are sweating and feel extremely tired all the time and sometimes dizzy and out of it