NeuroDoc1
NeuroDoc1, Doctor
Experience:  Neurology Residency completed 2006, Board Certified Neurologist
14010256

Everytime I eat anything I burp. I have indegestion all the

Everytime I eat anything I burp. I have indegestion all the time. I can't eat bread or soup or drink coffee. What is wrong with me?
Category: Health
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 8 years ago.
Do you have heartburn? What exactly happens when you try to eat/drink the things you mentioned--does it cause heartburn, get stuck on the way down, or do you regurgitate (throw up) the food or liquid? If you have regurgitation, does it happen more often when you lay down? Any stomach pain? Any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I don't have regurgitation that much, just indigestion alot. My stomach feels nausea at times. I feel at times like I have a stomach virus but I don't have a temperature. Especially around my time of the month. I burp all the time after I eat. I don't want to do that after I eat. I am a singer part time and that's not good for my throat. I can't eat any sweets at all without feeling sick. If I didn't have to eat, I'd probably be fine, but I get too hungry. At least I don't burp. I feel sick from not eating though.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am waiting for your reply. I have a seizure disorder what I just said before is my reply to you. N.F.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't throw up the food or liquid. I burp. It happens more when I am sitting or standing. I don't have much heartburn. The stomach pain feels like a dull ache. I feel like I have IBS.
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 8 years ago.

I am suspicious that the Topamax may be the cause for your problem, even though you may have started it some time before the nausea started. While weight loss is often a "good" side effects, nausea and sometimes stomach upset are negative potential side effects of topamax. It may be necessary to decrease the topiramate dose slightly but obviously this should be discussed with your seizure doctor first to make sure that a lower dose will still be adequate to control your seizures. If you need to stay on your current dose, then a low dose of a prescription antacid or antinausea medication may be needed.

Another possibility is that you may have a condition known as a hiatal hernia, which occurs when the top of the stomach "slides" through a weak area in the diaphragm. Usually this causes heart burn, but sometimes gas associated with eating can be a main symptom of this. This can usually be diagnosed with either an xray or what is known as an "upper GI study" that involves swallowing a contrast material and having special xrays taken.

I hope this has helped.