Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

Why do I have a sore throat and burning in my chest?

I have burning in my chest when I breath, a sore throat that is sore enough that it is painful to swallow liquids. A cough and fever that I am able to break with ibuprofen. Not sure what is going on. Anything comes to mind?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 7 years ago.

What's the duration of your problem?

How much fever do you have?

Do you have expectoration?

Any ear pain, upper abdominal symptoms?

As you are already on conservative measures, do you see any improvements?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My symptoms started last Thursday and haven't gotten any better and my fevers have been between 101.9 to the highest of 103.6. No ear pain and no abdominal symptoms other than my normal IBS symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 7 years ago.

It appears that you are suffering from upper respiratory tract infection which has viral etiology in many cases, and it’s expected to recover over a week with conservative measures. Urgent medical care is required when people start developing complication like ear pain, productive cough or toxic feeling. Usually at that time blood test, throat swab culture and antibiotics are required to prevent complication. At this point, you don’t seem to have complication and you can still wait for a couple of days and hope for self recovery. To keep up with conservative measures, you have to follow these instruction:

Increasing your fluid intake and getting extra sleep can help speed your recovery. Choose fluids such as water, soups and broths — not sodas or drinks that contain caffeine, which can dehydrate you further. If you find it extremely painful to swallow, try sipping warm broth through a straw.

Take steam inhalation and use Listerine gargle 2-3 times, you can take Tylenol cold or sinus meds every 6-8 hourls. You can add cough meds from over the counter which contain dextromethorphan. As you also have IBS and having retrosternal burning sensation, adding omeprazole one a day will help you to get rid of it. Some other general remedies, that can be helpful are:

·Gargle with warm salt water: Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a full glass of warm water, gargle, and then spit the water out. This will soothe your throat and clear it of mucus.

·Use honey and lemon: Stir honey and lemon to taste into a glass of very hot water, allowing it to cool to room temperature before you sip it. The honey coats and soothes your throat, and the lemon helps cut mucus.

·Humidify the air: Adding moisture to the air prevents your mucous membranes from drying out. This can reduce irritation and make it easier to sleep.

·Avoid smoke and other air pollutants.

I think you can follow it for next 2 more days. If your symptoms start improving then just keep up with conservative measures. If you develop ear pain, yellow sputum, breathing difficulty then certainly you will have to visit your doctor for blood test and an appropriate treatment.