Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I have muscle pain in my upper legs from the hips to the knees,

Customer Question

I have muscle pain in my upper legs from the hips to the knees, Sitting makes it worse, waking bothers it at times, At times it hurts no matter what I do.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Pain started about 3 years ago, I have had a nerve study done with normal results I have had x-rays, I do have arthritis in my hips But He { the DR. } said thats not causing the muscle pain.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Has your doctor ever taken images other than xrays of your lower back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No , They feel it is muscle pain , as I do , They don't feel it is related to my back. Could you recomend the kind of Dr I should see for muscle pain??? I have seen a, Orthopedic, Rumatoligest,internest, I have a appointment with a Neurologist in Feb. I Don't know what else to do and this pain is wrecking my life!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Well, that's the thing -- if your doctors don't suspect that compression of the nerves in the lower back can cause muscle cramping in the legs , a condition known as lumbar stenosis, they may never look for it.

A mri of the lumbar spine is needed to look for this as a possible cause.

Seeing a neurologist would help with this diagnosis.

The fact that you have these muscle pains even while sitting seems to suggest to me that stretching of the nerves with the sitting position could be the cause of your pain.
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX made me feel better, Knowing I am on the right track ,in My choice of Dr. to see. I Never thought that it could be nerves causing muscle pain. I will ask the Neuroligest to test me for lumbar stenosis. What can be done for that If that is the reason for my pain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That would account for; sitting on a hard chair is much better,And that a chair with give or bucket seats in the car Is really painful.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
If the lumbar stenosis (or any nerve compression in the back) is the cause for your pain, it will depend on the degree of the compression.

Minor compression can be temporarily helped via injections of steroid medications.

However more severe compression would require surgery for decompression, which is generally a simple surgery to remove the bone and ligaments pressing on the nerves, called a "laminectomy".

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX follow up on this with the Neurologist I see in Feb. If that is the cause would it affect both legs and hips?? I have pain in both.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Yes, compression of the upper lumbar nerves can cause hip pain and thigh pain.

Compression of the lower lumbar nerves can affect the back of the thigh and calf.

So it depends on the level of the compression.