Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Sharp stabbing pain on the left side of waist. Lasts for about

Sharp stabbing pain on the left side of waist. Lasts for about 15 to 30 seconds. Blood and stool sample show negative. I think citrus soda is helping.

Since how long are the symptoms? Do you have urinary burning, bloating, nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea/ constipation? Were any other investigations done apart from what you have mentioned? Are the pains intermittent or continuous? What is the severity of the pain on the scale of 0-10? Do you regularly take alcohol? Any significant past medical or surgical history? Are you on any kind of medications?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Intermittent pain.
severity 5. was 10 stabbing, burning pain left side. (sitrus soda helped)
Alcohol - beer 1,2 liters per night, sometimes 300ml red wine.
No significant surgical history.
Medication - High blood pressure (pharmpressco tabs)
Age 58
Non smoker

The following are the possibilities of the cause with the character and site of your pain, history of alcohol, and help with the citrus soda (clinical manifestations);

1) Esophagitis

2) Gastroesophageal reflux disease

3) Gall bladder dysfunctions

4) Gastritis

5) Pancreatitis

You can try antacids like Tums or Maalox and acid blockers like Prilosec, which are available without prescription. If these do not help or your symptoms increase or new symptoms appear, it would be prudent to seek help of an urgent care clinic or talking to your primary care physician. An ultrasound of the abdomen and may be an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy with the physical exam should be able to give the clues to the diagnosis and guidelines for the further management.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not have any hart burn, indigestion. My GP has mentioned scans, endoscopes. NOT for me.
Could it be kidney stones? Sometimes I do not have pain for a couple of days, then all of a sudden I get the stabbing. You are probably having the same frustration as my GP.Sorry about that, no scans or xrays.
Thanks again

Hello Calvon,

A kidney stone or ureteric stone is a possibility with the site of the pain although rest of your clinical presentation, does not support it. If no investigations are done, it boils down to the therapeutic diagnosis. If you respond to the antacids and acid blockers, probably they would go in favor of esophagitis, gastritis or related disorder, and if not, they would be ruled out. A classical heart burn sometimes may not be felt with these disorders.

Avoid caffeine and alcohol drinks meanwhile, if you take them.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun