Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Swelling of both legs with blisters

Swelling of both legs with blisters appearing and leaking a clear fluid, on calves of legs. Blisters on bottom of feet, too.

Already Tried:
Several pills, Lasix 80 mg, mainly. I have wrapped both Legs in Gauze, but cannot stop the Leakage. It just seems to happen everyday. Mainly on the bottom part of my legs. My Feet and ankles are swollen, also..

What is your age?

How long have you had this swelling? How long has there been blisters?

Are you diabetic? Are you bedridden?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am 54 years old. Yes, I am Diabetic, but haven't had any problems with my Blood Tests...they are usually around 85 to 110. My last AIC was 5.

The Blisters have been active on my legs for about 4 months, and on the bottom of my feet for about 2 months.

My Ankles and Feet are Also Swollen.

It is important that you get a check up with doctors for this. Leg swelling is common in diabetes, but the fact that you are having discharging ulcers indicates that it is quite serious. you need to consult with your doctors for this. you may be having infections of the leg such as cellulitis of the leg which is common in diabetes, called diabetic foot. This will require specialized care.

Besides care by the doctors, there are some other things you can do at home. The main cause of such leg swelling is lack of exercise of the calf muscles. So the main solution is also exercise of the calf muscles.

This is what is most important to get the swelling down.

Hence you must do some walking. Several sessions of a few minutes of walking every day will get the leg swelling down, this is by far the best way to reduce the swelling.

You should of course continue with the gauge and Lasix, these are also important medications.

Besides the exercise, the other thing that I would recommend is to check for posture. Often leg swelling gets aggravated due to the choice of recliners. It is most important to avoid recliners and armchairs where there is pressure on the calves. It is always better to lie down flat on the bed with the legs elevated for long periods.

You can look this up here for a personal discussion on this aspect:

The third thing is a low salt diet. This is also effective in reducing swelling.

Hence, besides the treatment by doctors, these are the three aspects which you should look into which will control the swelling.